Beyond Centers and Circle Time: Scaffolding & Assessing the Play of Young Children
Beyond Centers and Circle Time: Scaffolding and Assessing the Play of Young Children will emphasize the following:
- How to scaffold the environment, which will include the use and purchase of play materials as well as the organization of play spaces
- How to scaffold the pre-play experiences
- How to scaffold the development of the individual child through an understanding of the stages of sensorimotor, construction, and dramatic play
- How to scaffold the post-play experiences
- Participants will be able to use knowledge of both typical and atypical child development when observing young children and planning classroom experiences.
- Participants will be able to understand research and theories focusing on play and use this knowledge to plan and scaffold classroom experiences.
- Participants will understand how young children acquire knowledge and skills that will support their success in later school.
- Participants will be able to plan and organize a quality play environment that will support each child’s individual developmental level.
- Participants will be able to use knowledge of children’s development to plan and implement a quality program that will support the acquisition of school readiness skills.
- Participants will become familiar with research-supported stages of development in writing, easel painting, marker/crayon drawing, block building, bead stringing, and cutting with scissors and be able to use these stages to assess the play behaviors of young children.
- Participants will understand the importance of language, books, and other literacy experiences in children’s development of school readiness skills and be able to use this knowledge to plan literacy-rich experiences for young children.
- Children learn best when they are happy and interacting with adults, each other, materials, and engaged in activities that are exciting and developmentally appropriate.
For more information on this or other KAPLAN professional development options, please contact us at 800.334.2014, ext 3252 or email@example.com