Sense of Place for Wee Ones
1 - 3 years. Constructed from a durable combination of FSC-sourced materials, the Hide-Away Cove is a unique and versatile addition to any early childhood classroom. Young children, especially those who are crawling or just learning how to walk, are always on the move. Tunnels and pathways like the ones in this collection can provide them with exciting and interesting ways to navigate through their environments. Special details like a pull-up bar and mirror make this piece of equipment functional and interactive from every side when placed in the middle of the room. Use this unit as a fun transition between areas in the classroom, or push it up against the wall to create a refuge or cozy retreat for little ones. A scratch-resistant, vinyl-covered cushion makes the Hide-Away Cove durable enough for continued use. Measures 40"L x 18"W x 32"H.
- Made from a durable combination of white laminated plywood and solid birch
- Smooth sanded edges, with an easy-to-clean finish that prevents scratches and stains
- Collection created using an innovative 360° Play Design to encourage meaningful interaction with the furniture from all sides
- Toddlers can use the wide, cushioned tunnel as an exciting pass-through between play areas, or a cozy hide-away
- Sturdy pull-up bar with mirror detail enhances sensory play and development of self-awareness for children just learning to walk
- Easily connect with other pieces from the collection to create a flexible, modular furniture system within the classroom
- Designed specifically for toddlers and twos
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
- Ships fully assembled
- Furniture connection tools and instructions included
- Measures 40"L x 18"W x 32"H
Due to the nature of the wood used, variations in color and grain are to be expected. Naturally occurring variations in wood like color, grain, pinholes, and knots are not considered defects.
The Sense of Place for Wee Ones Collection
The Sense of Place for Wee Ones collection, created by author, speaker, and early childhood educator Dr. Sandra Duncan is the first modular furniture system that nurtures a child’s inherent need to move, play, and belong. Built upon extensive research and theory, this beautiful collection provides young children with an environment that supports their innate play patterns and encourages physical and cognitive development. The key features of this collection emerged from innate characteristics that toddlers exhibit. These characteristics are intricately woven throughout the design:
- Movement Connoisseur: Through its intentional design, this collection supports children’s inherent need to move and promotes the repetitive movements that they need to engage in to learn, grow and develop.
- Sensory Seeker: Wee ones use all of their senses while establishing understandings about their environments. Details in this collection like ramps, holes, mirrors, and levels enrich play and encourage sensorial experiences.
- Pathfinder: Young children exuberantly navigate their environments in unique and unusual ways. Coves, tunnels and pieces designed to be interacted with from all sides, provide visual and physical pathways throughout the classroom.
- Enthusiastic Improvisor: As enthusiastic improvisors, wee ones interpret their environment in unexpected ways. The furniture in this collection can easily be rearranged and reorganized, creating modular systems that meet children’s changing needs.
Sandra Duncan, EdD
With over 45 years of experience and a doctorate in education, Dr. Sandra Duncan has a wide and varied background in early care and education. She has extensive experience in working with young children and parents, teaching at the university level (doctorate students and early childhood students), designing and writing professional development programs for practitioners, and authoring several teacher resource books including her latest effort with Jody Martin and Sally Haughey, Through a Child’s Eyes.
Now, Dr. Duncan is bringing her years of theory and best practices to the early childhood classroom in the form of the Sense of Place furniture collection - an exclusive to the Kaplan portolfio of furniture offerings. With its modern aesthetics, many authentic and true-to-real-life details, and considerations for what the youngest of children need to thrive best in their first learning environments, the Sense of Place collection provides ITT and ECE educators a beautiful backdrop to creating the most meaningful and lasting of learning experiences in early education classrooms for years to come.
“The classroom is powerful. Its space has the capacity to regulate children’s behaviors either positively or negatively... The types of materials in the classroom, including the furniture, and the way they are arranged influence how children act, react, learn and grow.”
—Sandra Duncan, EdD, Jody Martin and Sally Haughey, Through a Child’s Eyes
Use mild soap and water on a damp cloth. Do not use window-cleaners or abrasive products as they may damage the finish and will invalidate your warranty. For clear and translucent panels, use a mild solution of vinegar and water.
We add a surcharge for expedited delivery of a few items because of their weight, size or dimensions. This charge is in addition to our base shipping charge for Next Day or Second Day Air.
|The Next Day Delivery Surcharge for this item is:||$446.00|
|The Second Day Delivery Surcharge for this item is:||$240.00|