The most treasured ornaments are the ones your children make when they are small. Kids can create beautiful handmade holiday ornaments to give as gifts or use to decorate their own homes with this simple craft from The GIANT Encyclopedia of Theme Activities.
- Large pine cones
- Glue in a bottle
- Glitter in several different colors
- Box lid (to hold pine cones while glittering)
- Glue gun
- Red or green velvet ribbon
What to Do:
- Gather the materials and place them on the table.
- Have each child select a pine cone and hold it over the box lid.
- The children squirt glue over the entire pine cone.
- Allow glitter to dry at least 24 hours.
- Make a loop from the ribbon and use the glue gun to attach it to the bottom of the pine cone. Allow another 24 hours to dry to make sure the ribbon is secured to the pine cone.
More to Do:
If children live in a section of the country where pine cones are plentiful, go on an outing so child can search for their own pine cones to decorate.
This activity was submitted by Janet K. Nobles from Tulsa, Oklahoma. For more holiday and other themed activities (like the one above), you can purchase your own copy of The GIANT Encyclopedia of Theme Activities for Children 2 to 5 on our website.