December 2, 2016 04:30 by april
The holidays are upon us, which means it’s time for some holiday crafting in the classroom. If you’re looking for a fun and simple craft to do with your students, try making these DIY gift bags!
What to Do:
- Start by having children use alphabet stampers and jumbo stamp pads to stamp a holiday greeting onto their gift bags. Make sure children are decorating the flat side of the bag (the side without the bottom flap).
- Next, encourage children to use sponges in a variety of shapes (e.g., a star, teddy bear, Christmas tree, turkey, etc.) to add a holiday theme. If children want a specific shape, such as a candy cane or ornament, try cutting out compressed sponges and adding water to create your own sponges. This is a magical way to make sponges in different shapes and sizes.
- Once children know what sponges they would like to use on their gift bags, bring out the tempera paint! Let children press sponges in the paint or use paint brushes to fully cover the sponges with paint.
- Encourage children to experiment with a variety of patterns and paint colors. Children can also press sponges down in the jumbo ink pads to add texture to their designs.
- Once bags are dry, have children use markers and crayons to finish decorating their bags.
- Tape pipe cleaners to the inside of each bag to form handles for the gift bag.
The cardboard square mosaics craft we featured in November is also a fun holiday craft to do with your class. Be sure to share pictures of students’ DIY Gift Bags on our Facebook and Twitter pages!